Buttoned Skirt


I made a skirt!  This photo was taken about a week ago (when there was sunshine) and I actually finished this skirt two weeks ago.

I started making it at sewing group, with help; I probably would still be doing it otherwise!  It originally had a zip, but I decided buttons would be nicer, especially since I got some awesome vintage buttons for my birthday!

At sewing group I cut it out, without drawing lines or planning on paper or anything (not my usual style), just guidence from a friend :)  I even (deliberately) ripped the fabric, which was fun.  After the cutting/ripping I sewed the gather stitches (right term?) and then it was time to go home.

IMG_1854sAt home in the next couple of weeks I followed Tilly’s Picnic Blanket Skirt tutorial, except my skirt was in one piece rather than three, and I didn’t have any interfacing so I used bondaweb.  I managed to sew and cut button holes!  I’ve never been able to do that before, I always cut the stitching.  I had help from a beautiful sewing bok that I also got for my birthday.

The worst mistake I made was that I forgot to put the ruffled fabric of the skirt into the waistband, and then I couldn’t be bothered to re-do it because I’d already re-done it twice.  Instead I used a zigzag stitch to “overlock” the hem, and left it at that.  It’s only me who will be wearing it after all!

I now want to sew a t-stirt, this one from grainline studio.  In fact, I bought the pattern yesterday and I have cut it out, now I just need to find the right fabric!