I made a skirt! This photo was taken about a week ago (when there was sunshine) and I actually finished this skirt two weeks ago.
I started making it at sewing group, with help; I probably would still be doing it otherwise! It originally had a zip, but I decided buttons would be nicer, especially since I got some awesome vintage buttons for my birthday!
At sewing group I cut it out, without drawing lines or planning on paper or anything (not my usual style), just guidence from a friend :) I even (deliberately) ripped the fabric, which was fun. After the cutting/ripping I sewed the gather stitches (right term?) and then it was time to go home.
At home in the next couple of weeks I followed Tilly’s Picnic Blanket Skirt tutorial, except my skirt was in one piece rather than three, and I didn’t have any interfacing so I used bondaweb. I managed to sew and cut button holes! I’ve never been able to do that before, I always cut the stitching. I had help from a beautiful sewing bok that I also got for my birthday.
The worst mistake I made was that I forgot to put the ruffled fabric of the skirt into the waistband, and then I couldn’t be bothered to re-do it because I’d already re-done it twice. Instead I used a zigzag stitch to “overlock” the hem, and left it at that. It’s only me who will be wearing it after all!
I now want to sew a t-stirt, this one from grainline studio. In fact, I bought the pattern yesterday and I have cut it out, now I just need to find the right fabric!
I while ago I pinned (on pinterest) the tutorial to make this bag from the purl bee. I finished making mine yesterday!
I used some cotton fabric that my friend had kindly given me (thank you Lynda!) and made it over two days, one cutting out the fabric and the other doing the sewing. It took me two hours maximum but I made it harder for myself by using fabric for the lining that was 1/2” too small. I forgot that when I was sewing it so I had to re-do one side.
The straps are part of the first yarn that I span, except that I doubled it and felted the two strands together so that it’s thicker.
It’s lined too! I nearly didn’t bother with the lining, but it makes it look so much better!
The tutorial is super easy to follow and I recommend it if you just want an easy, satisfying project.
Thank you for looking!
It’s finished! Well, it was finished over a week ago, on the morning of Gran’s birthday, which was good because this cushion cover was her birthday present. I first mentioned my cushion here. I used rico creative cotton aran and rico soft merino aran.
I sewed the squares together, made a basic cushion cover and then sewed the squares onto the front. the edge looked a bit messy so I added some edging along the sides and the opening (which took a lot longer than I thought it would). The orange buttons were some that I’d had for a while, I think they look bright against the white.
We went to Gran’s house in the afternoon and had a fabulous
Thank you for looking!
My picture is finished! Actually, I finished it about a week ago but I have only just put the photos on my laptop. I started it over two months ago, outside in the sunshine. Since my other post about it I started embroidering the grass by hand at the top, but I soon got tired of it and it was redundant for a while. Then I decided to finish it using my sewing machine. I used a zig-zag stitch and I threaded my machine with the same embroidery thread so that it looked the same. I’m not sure if the zig-zag looks as good as the bit that I hand stitched, but it’s worth it because otherwise I wouldn’t have got it finished!
Thank you for taking a look :-)
About two weeks ago I made a small white shoulder bag with an elephant print pocket.
I made up the pattern. It’s just the right size to hold my phone, earphones, a notebook, a pen, my camera and still have a bit of room for anything else I might want.
I liked it so much that I made another! this one is a bit brighter and I used the same pattern as my elephant bag, except the zip is smaller because I didn’t have any bigger zips that looked good with the fabric.
Thanks for taking a look :)